Sunday 26 June 2011

Countdown

Well, what have I got myself into. 6 mths in Ethiopia, off the grid was quoted to me as my location. Pulse GSK a worthy cause - time with an NGO and its people.

I have managed to contact the other 4 GSK personnel going to Ethiopia, Sarah and Bridget already there, Laura and Delphine to arrive before I do. Skype is great for a quick chat which I have done a few times to learn about the challenges of daily life.

Its been interesting to talk to people about my volunteering to Ethiopia - work colleagues, friends, family. A common theme  from the majority ( 70%)  is that I must be crazy. Most work colleagues think I am crazy or neutral on the idea, so little support from there. Friends no more encouraging especially in relation to NGO's having no impact.  Maybe there is more to be told of my story there during and after than I expected.

Well tomorrow the real pain begins - 12 injections - hepatitis, cholera, yellow fever, rabies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment