Wednesday 17 August 2011

Last night had a family dinner at a Thai restaraunt for my birthday and farewell. Interesting presents - a book about hostage negotiation, clothes and a DVD - "Dont Mess with the Zohan....  Today is my last day at work, pizza for everyone.

My attempt to get to at least 1 of 3 Ethiopian restaraunts in Melbourne before I left was not successful.

I am  still trying to figure out what to pack. With about 45 kg in 2 small suitcases of clothes, shoes, pharmaceuticals and additional possibly useful items. I am 15 kg over my baggage allowance on Emirates. That extra luggage will cost me A$1050. I have sent an e-mail to Emirates that I am going on a noble mission to Ethiopia and cant they show some pity on a volunteer.... Otherwise will have to Fedex some of it. ,,,...Well Emirates didnt come to the party, but I managed to get down to 35 kg so only about A$350, which is the same as Fedex shipment for 5 -10 kg. Will buy clothes in Addis Ababa!

Reading and watching TV about the rains in the north and central part of ethiopia and the drought in the south.  All up food is scarce for all the refugees and even ethiopians themselves in the south - it is mystifying in this age why we cant help make life easier for all these people - Millenium is great in that it helps them to help themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment